Ivey Neighbourhood is now fully sold
Ivey - What’s in a name?
Ivey neighbourhood is named after William Edward Ivey who was appointed Director/Manager of the School of Agriculture at Lincoln in 1878. The school became Canterbury Agricultural College in 1896, Lincoln College in 1961 and Lincoln University in 1990. William Edward Ivey is therefore regarded as one of the founding father of Lincoln University. He was born in Australia and educated at the Royal Agricultural College, Cirencester, England. As Director/Manager of the School of Agriculture he lived in what is now known as Ivey Hall, on the University campus. He died in 1892 at the age of 54, and is buried at Springston.
Te Whāriki not only draws on Ngāi Tahu history for its inspiration but also looks towards Lincoln University’s history. This will be entwined throughout the Te Whāriki development in the form of neighbourhoods and streets, named after influential figures from the University’s past.
For further information on the meaning behind neighbourhood and street names click here.